by Cay Horstmann
Scala is reaching a tipping point, as thousands of Java and other object-oriented programmers hear about its potential and seek to discover this breakthrough functional programming language for themselves. Until now, most treatments of Scala have been abstract and academic. Now, Cay Horstmann does for Scala what he did for Java in his global best-seller Core Java: he offers a rapid, code-based introduction that's relentlessly practical and 100% useful. Every concept and technique in Scala for the Impatient is presented in "blog-size" chunks that can be digested quickly and reviewed as needed for specific tasks. Horstmann offers hands-on activities that guide readers through four well-defined stages of competency:
- Basic Scala: REPL, basic syntax, control structures, functions, arrays, maps, tuples, classes, objects, and inheritance
- Intermediate Scala: higher-order functions, collections, case classes, Option, exception handling, traits, and the Scala type hierarchy
- Advanced Scala: nested classes, packages, and modules; generic types; lazy data structures; existential types; structural typing; and more
- Expert Scala: object equality, monads, higher-kinded types, implicit definitions, annotations, delimited continuations, and techniques for DSL construction
The free PDF includes a subset of the book, suitable for a beginning application developer (or the A1 Scala Level, if you prefer)
by Joshua D. Suereth
Scala in Depth, by Typesafe technical staff member Josh Suereth, is a unique new book designed to help you integrate Scala effectively into your development process. By presenting the emerging best practices and designs from the Scala community, it guides you through dozens of powerful techniques example by example.
ABOUT THE BOOK
Scala is a powerful JVM language that blends the functional and OO programming models. You'll have no trouble getting introductions to Scala in books or online, but it's hard to find great examples and insights from experienced practitioners. You'll find them in Scala in Depth.There's little heavy-handed theory here—just dozens of crisp, practical techniques for coding in Scala. Written for readers who know Java, Scala, or another OO language.
- Concise, expressive, and readable code style
- Integrate Scala into your existing Java projects
- Scala's 2.8.0 collections API
- How to use actors for concurrent programming
- Mastering the Scala type system Scala's OO features—type member inheritance, multiple inheritance, and composition
- Functional concepts and patterns—immutability, applicative functors, and monads
FREE SAMPLE & DISCOUNT
The free sample PDF available here includes a subset of the book, including Chapter 1 ("Scala - A blended language"), Chapter 2 ("The core rules") and Chapter 9 ("Actors"). When you sign up for the Typesafe mailing list below, we'll send you a promotional code for 38% off the full book in print and eBook formats at manning.com.