Monitoring Reactive applications
Reactive applications introduce new concepts and paradigms that require new tools to ease the adoption of the new concepts and approaches to application design required to fully take advantage of the platform.
Typesafe Console offers unrivaled visibility into the inner workings of applications built on the Typesafe Reactive Platform and provides an unprecedented level of near-real-time visibility into application execution and operation. While Typesafe Console provides deep insight into the entire Typesafe Reactive Platform; currently its focus is on the Akka event-driven middleware, it will soon support Play Web Framework applications, with additional functionality planned for the near future.
Console itself is built on the Typesafe Reactive Platform and is a prime example of what can be achieved by using Play, Akka and Scala in a real world scenario.
How will Typesafe Console help?
Console captures the events generated by an application’s asynchronous processing, links those events into meaningful trace flows across actors and remote nodes, and makes this data actionable to developers and operations staff through a rich browser-based user interface.
Furthermore, Console provides insight into usage trends and performance characteristics of the running system; this enables users to not only optimize system performance and detect bottlenecks before they become a problem, but also to understand the reasons for problems.
There are numerous probes that collect data from an Akka based system, including:
- Message rates and peaks
- Individual trace events linked as trace trees or spans
- Latency between predefined or user defined points
- Latency distributions
- Actor supervisor hierarchies
- Actor mailbox queue size and delays
- Actor message dispatcher status
- Status of remoting and system errors
- Metadata about the system
- JVM and OS health
The monitored data can be scoped by node, groups of actors or even individual actors.
Initially, Console was envisioned as a tool to be used exclusively by Operations Staff for Production Monitoring, however the overwhelming response from users has been that it actually has more applicability and value during application development; leaving the production monitoring aspects to the vendors already embedded in companies infrastructures.
Typesafe Console is available in two versions:
- Typesafe Console, Developer Edition is available free of charge for development use where it can be used as an aid to visualize application behavior in real-time and to assist with debugging tasks such as detecting system bottlenecks, dropped messages, etc. This free, developer licensed Console utilizes an “in-memory” storage model for messages and other data captured within a 20 minute sliding window.
- Typesafe Console, Subscription Edition is available only with a Typesafe Subscription and includes all of the developer functionality, plus access to the JMX interface in addition to the browser-based one. The Subscription Edition also removes the 20 minute in-memory storage limitation and allows persistent storage of historical monitoring data, to enable comparisons across time periods and to perform trend analysis.
Customers that wish to use Typesafe Console, Subscription Edition for production monitoring of their applications may do so, however Typesafe recommends that a short Production Application Review Session be performed by Typesafe Professional Services to determine the optimal monitoring settings based on your application's characteristics.
With the developer focus that Console is adopting, Typesafe is partnering with the leading application performance monitoring vendors – including AppDynamics, New Relic and Takipi – to address the different production monitoring requirements of Typesafe Reactive Platform users.
The Typesafe Console sets the bar for real-time application visibility and monitoring of the Typesafe Reactive Platform. Through strong partnerships with leading APM vendors, users will have the freedom to choose between any number of best-in-class solutions to address their needs throughout the application development lifecycle.
Typesafe Console may be downloaded in two ways:
Developer documentation for the Typesafe Console is available here.